C# Scripting and Plugin Development for Grasshopper
3-day Intermediate/Advanced C# Online Course with Long Nguyen:
3-day Intermediate/Advanced Course | Online Course
This 3-day advanced course will focus on advanced aspects of C# scripting and plugin programming for Grasshopper. In addition to going in-depth with Rhino geometries, custom graphics display, and Rhino-Grasshopper interaction, we will learn various techniques that can vastly improve code performance and significantly speed up execution time (including using multi-thread parallel computing and using spatial data structures e.g. R-Tree to accelerate 3D search operations). We will also discuss and demonstrate good programming practices for organizing and structuring code to allow more reusability, extensibility and maintainability.
Please note that this is an intermediate/advanced course. To take part in this course you should already know the basics of C# programming (including objected-oriented programming) and some very basic C# scripting with RhinoCommon library (such as creating simple points, lines). If you would like to learn the basics or need to refresh your basic skills prior to starting this course, you can watch AND follow this free video tutorial series "C# Scripting and Plugin Development for Grasshopper" by Long Nguyen LINK: https://developer.rhino3d.com/videos/ . The video was a recording of a 3-day course at University of Stuttgart (Germany) in 2018. Generally, watching ONLY the first one-and-a-half day should be enough to cover most of the basic topics already. The handouts (e.g. Slides, Grasshopper files) are also included in the link above
See further down this page for course outline and booking information.
Course Tutor - Long Nguyen
Long is currently a Research Associate at the Institute for Computational Design (ICD) at University of Stuttgart. As a computer scientist with several years working with the architecture community, Long has developed a deep interest in computational design. His current activities at the ICD includes research in computational geometries, digital form findings, digital/robotic fabrication, plugin development for Rhino/Grasshopper and Autodesk Dynamo. He also has a great passion for teaching programming, algorithms, mathematics and computational design thinking, especially to architecture students and practitioners.
3-day Intermediate/Advanced Online Course | Course outline:
- Working with string (text data)
- Programmatically read and write to a text file
- Custom graphics display in Grasshopper
- Working with DataTree programmatically
- Working with mesh topology
- Programmatically interacting with Rhino environment (objects, layers, materials)
- C# delegates and anonymous function
- Parallel Computation
- Spatial Data Structures
- Fast spatial relationship querying using R-Tree in RhinoCommon
- Live debugging C# code using the Visual Studio
- Using external C# libraries
- Interop between C# and Python (useful for sharing high-performance C# code with Python users)
- Personal project development
- (Optionally discuss topics requested by the participants)
Course Dates, Prices and How To Book
This 3-Day Course Cost is £650 + VAT, per attendee
Please note there are also limited places available for Lecturers/Students:
Lecturer/Teacher* Place is £500 + VAT
Student* Place is £400 + VAT
*Valid Educational ID will be required.
Timing is 09:30 to 17:30 British Summer Time (*BST) Each Day (With Breaks)
*Not Based in the UK? To See How BST Compares to your Time Zone You Can Click Here and Check.
- For all other Rhino & Grasshopper training dates please see our training calendar
- If you require any more details before booking you can:
- Call us now on 020 8498 9900